Friday, September 14, 2007

I WON!! I WON!! I WON!!!

Fellow princesses, please do not waste your money on postage. Please do not spend another minute filling out the application. You simply will not win the Mother of the Year Award. I am happy to announce that I won it. I had to have won it. There is no possible way I didn't win.

Today was picture day at Center Hill Elementary. I sent Prilla in a PRECIOUS top with matching skort. (or whatever it is you call a skirt with shorts attached underneath) Lightning wore a nice polo-style shirt with khaki shorts and his favorite sandals. (Beck attends preschool, so she is exempt from this award, but I promise I have that one wrapped up with the go-kart burn on her leg that matches the Harley Davidson burn scar on her other leg.)

About 9 a.m. I get a call from the school. Yes, the dreaded call. From the school. Of course, this must be about Lightning. Has he hit a teacher? Is he balled up on the ground squealing again? Or perhaps (once again) he is in the bathroom screaming because he needs to poop but can't. (yes, I said again--that happened on his 3rd day of school) NOOOO> it's Prilla. Not Lightning that the school is calling about. Apparently the PRECIOUS skort that falls about 3 inches above her knee is too short. Someone must bring her clothes or pick her up IMMEDIATELY, I am told by the smug-sounding school secretary on the other end of the line.

Really? Too short? She's 8. The oldest students at the school are 10. Are we really so concerned about a skort--that has shorts under it, no less--that is an inch shorter than the requirements in the school handbook????? REALLY????

Really. Great. I work an hour from the school. My prince also works an hour from the school. Can she not stay at school, I ask? No... She must have a change of clothes as soon as possible. Fortunately, we know someone retired that lives a few minutes from the school and has a granddaughter the same size as Prilla. She took her some pants. Unfortunately, it was something that didn't really fit and certainly didn't match blouse she wore.

On the bright side, they didn't make the group photo for the class today. Hopefully the other picture will turn out okay. I hope so. I paid $47 for them.

THEN... I picked them up from after school care today. We get home and I check backpacks for notes, to clean out old work, etc. Lightning has a note from the P.E. teacher stating that he "...came to school inadequately equipped for physical education class. He is required to wear tennis shoes to physical education, and this is a crucial part of the education system...blah blah blah blah...." I really don't remember what else it had. It looked very much like it had been penned by the smug secretary that called about Prilla's skirt. skort. Whatever the heck that thing is. I have to sign the note so the teacher knows that I understand he is required to wear tennis shoes on p.e. day.

Okay. Let's explain how p.e. works at our school. Every day each class has an activity. There are four activities, so all Mondays, Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays are the same. Fridays rotate those four activities, so we have Computer one Friday a month, Library one Friday a month, Music one Friday a month and P.E. one Friday a month. No one bothered to send home a schedule for what they do on which Friday--we're supposed to guess. I guessed wrong today. Of course.

SO. There you have the whole long story of how I managed to win Mother of the Year Award. I sent TWO out of THREE kids to school dressed improperly on the SAME day.

I'm going with Meatloaf on this one. "Two out of Three Ain't Bad"....

Hugs to all!
Love,
Sleeping Beauty

2 comments:

princess ariel said...

You win hands down! I will not even attempt to get it this year.
CLAP, CLAP, CLAP!!!!

Princess Ariel
PS: I got my package today.

Six in the Mix said...

Makes me glad I home school. What a day!